With the holiday season approaching, many start to think about what they are most grateful for and often, how they would like to give back.
However, the decision about where to give can sometimes be overwhelming because there are so many great organizations with valid causes.
If you aren’t sure where to donate, we have a great organization right here at Oakland Schools: The Oakland Schools Education Foundation (OSEF), a nonprofit public charity in Oakland County, which supports educational and enrichment programs offered by Oakland Schools.
You’ve probably already heard of many of the programs OSEF backs, such as the Oakland County Competitive Robotics Association (OCCRA), Outstanding Teacher of the Year and Scholarships for Success. The work of the foundation is hugely successful:
- Since 2003, $394,800 in scholarships has been awarded to Oakland County students.
- Approximately 12,000 robotics students have been able to participate in OCCRA since its inception in 2000.
- Over 210,000 students have been made eligible for scholarships through OSEF-supported programs.
However, OSEF is always looking for new ways to give back to the community. So this month, the nonprofit is launching the Oakland County Educator Appreciation Program.
The purpose of this program is two-fold: to increase recognition of educators and staff in Oakland County and to generate income in the form of grants to support specific teacher initiatives, resulting in innovative approaches to learning.
Beginning on Giving Tuesday (next Tuesday, Nov. 28), those interested in contributing to the Oakland County Educator Appreciation Program may go to the OSEF website and recognize a teacher, administrator, coach, secretary para-educator or any person at an Oakland County school who has made a positive impact. The nominator can donate any amount they’d like from $10 and up and, in up to 50 words, tell us about why this person has made a difference. The contest allows for the nomination of any employee from Oakland Schools’ districts. Those nominated will be recognized through Oakland Schools social media, website, mailings and placements in newspapers.
The campaign will run for one week only, ending on Dec. 5. The money garnered from the donations will then be used to establish a grant fund that will focus on innovation in classrooms and be available to all educators in Oakland County.
If you’re looking for a different way to contribute, OSEF has other ways to give.
- Shopping on AmazonSmile. Did you know that for every purchase you make through AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate 0.5 percent of your eligible purchases to OSEF? AmazonSmile is the same as regular Amazon (same products, etc.), but it just has the charitable giving component. Visit https://smile.amazon.com/ch/38-3533533 to learn more.
- Directly contributing to OSEF. If neither of the above contribution methods suits you, OSEF always accepts direct donations. Click here to donate. By using this option, you can select the amount you feel most comfortable giving as well as specify what program you would like your money to go to.
Thank you for considering OSEF as a place where your hard-earned money would be of most value. If you have any questions about OSEF or contributing, email Andrea Berry at Andrea.Berry@osedfoundation.org.