With the holiday season approaching, many start to think about what they are most grateful for and often, how they would like to give back.
However, the decision about where to give can sometimes be overwhelming because there are so many great organizations with valid causes.
If you aren’t sure where to donate or are looking for a place to contribute to, we have a great organization right here at Oakland Schools.
What is it?
The Oakland Schools Education Foundation (OSEF) is a nonprofit public charity in Oakland County, which supports educational and enrichment programs offered by Oakland Schools.
You’ve probably already heard of many of the programs OSEF backs, such as the Oakland County Competitive Robotics Association (OCCRA), Outstanding Teacher of the Year and Scholarships for Success. The work of the foundation is hugely successful:
- Since 2003, $394,800 in scholarships has been awarded to Oakland County students.
- Approximately 12,000 robotics students have been able to participate in OCCRA since its inception in 2000.
- Over 210,000 students have been made eligible for scholarships through OSEF-supported programs.
How can I contribute?
One of the great things about OSEF is it is a foundation which makes it easy for Oakland Schools employees to contribute.
- Casual for a Cause. By signing up for this program, you are making a $5 bi-weekly contribution through your paycheck to OSEF and, in exchange, are able to wear jeans on Fridays. Once enrolled, the deduction is made automatically from each paycheck, making the contribution easy. To begin this simple process, send a $5 payroll deduction form to Karen Warren at Warren@oakland.k12.mi.us.
- Shopping on AmazonSmile. Did you know that for every purchase you make through AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate 0.5 percent of your eligible purchases to OSEF? AmazonSmile is the same as regular Amazon (same products, etc.), but it just has the charitable giving component. Visit https://smile.amazon.com/ch/38-3533533 to learn more.
- Directly contributing to OSEF. If neither of the above contribution methods suits you, OSEF always accepts direct donations. Click here to donate. By using this option, you can select the amount you feel most comfortable giving as well as specify what program you would like your money to go to.
Thank you for considering OSEF as a place where your hard-earned money would be of most value. If you have any questions about OSEF or contributing, email Andrea Berry at Andrea.Berry@oakland.k12.mi.us.
Sarah Davis is communications specialist for Oakland Schools Communications Services. You can reach her at email@example.com.